Silviu-Iulian NICULESCU was born in Petrosani, Romania in 1968. He received the B.S. degree from the Polytechnical Institute of Bucharest, Romania, the M.Sc., and Ph.D. degrees, both in Automatic Control, from the Institut National Polytechnique de Grenoble, France, and the “Habilitation à Diriger des Recherches” (HDR) in Automatic Control from Université de Technologie de Compiègne, in 1992, 1993, 1996, and 2003, respectively. From 1992 to 1997, he was with the Department of Automatic Control and Computers, University "Politehnica" Bucharest, Romania. From 1997 to 2006, he was with HEUDIASYC (“Heuristics and diagnosis of complex systems”) laboratory, Compiègne, France as a Researcher at CNRS (French National Center for Scientific Research). He also held a PostDoctoral position in the Department of Applied Mathematics, ENSTA, Paris, France, from 1996 to 1997. In September 2006, he joined L2S (Laboratory of Signals and Systems), Gif-sur-Yvette, where he is currently Research Director (“Senior Researcher”) at CNRS and the head of the laboratory. (since 2010)
He is author or co-author of ten books (Diderot: 1997; Birkhauser, Briefs: 2015; SIAM: 2007 and 2015; Springer: LNCIS - 2001, CES - 2014, AIC - 2015, SpringerBriefs - 2 in 2015 1 in 2016, and 1 in 2017) and co-editor of six volumes (SIAM, 1999; Pergamon Press, 2001; Springer 2004; Springer 2007; Springer 2009). He is author or co-author of more than 475 book chapters or scientific papers. He has been the IPC Chairman of the 3rd IFAC Workshop on Time-Delay Systems (Santa Fe, NM, USA, December 2001) , of the 8th IFAC Workshop on Time-Delay Systems (Sinaia, Romania, September 2009), 13th European Control Conference (Strasoburg, France, June 2014), and the main organizer or co-organizer of the 1st CNRS-NSF Workshop on Time-Delay Systems (Paris: La Défense, January 2003), and of the two European Summer School in Automatic Control (Grenoble, September 2000; Grenoble, July 2013) devoted to time-delay systems. He was the guest co-editor of five special issues in the area of delay systems (Journal of Mathematical Modelling of Natural Phenomena (MMNP) in 2009, Asian Journal of Control in 2005, IMA Journal of Mathematical Control and Information in 2002 and 2010, and Kybernetika in 2001).
Dr. Niculescu has been scientific responsible of 15 international cooperation programs and projects (with Belgium, Mexico, Romania and Eastern European countries, South Korea, Hong Kong, Turkey and United States). He is member of IFAC Technical Committee on Linear Systems (since 2002) and of the IPC of 44 International Conferences, and he was an Associate Editor of the IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control (2003-2005). Since 2011, he is an Associate Editor of European Journal of Control and IMA Journal of Mathematical Control and Information. He is the responsible of the IFAC Research Group on "Time-delay systems" since its creation in October 2007 and vice-chair of the IFAC Technical Committee on Linear Systems (TC 2.2) since 2012. Since 2012, he is the founding editor and the scientific responsible of the Springer (book) series: Advances in Delays in Dynamics (ADD@S).
Dr. Niculescu was awarded the CNRS Silver and Bronze Medals for scientific research, the Best Paper Presentation Award at American Control Conference, Chicago, IL and the Ph.D. Thesis Award from INPG, Grenoble (France) in 2011, 2001, 2000, and 1996, respectively. He was also awarded the title of "Doctor Honoris Causa" of University of Craiova (Romania) in 2016. His research interests include delay systems, robust control, operator theory, and numerical methods in optimization, and their applications to the design of engineering systems.
BOOKS (since 1997):
- R. Sipahi, S.-I. Niculescu and F.M. Atay: Deterministic car-following traffic models. Delay effects and linear stability, Springer: Heidelberg, Series: "SpringerBriefs in Electrical and Computer Engineering (Control, Automation and Robotics)", 2017 (to be published).
- I. Prodan, F. Stoican, S. Olaru and S.-I. Niculescu: Mixed integer representations in control design, Springer; Heidelberg, Series: "SpringerBriefs in Electrical and Computer Engineering (Control, Automation and Robotics)", 2016.
- X.G. Li, S.-I. Niculescu and A. Çela : Analytic curve frequency-sweeping stability tests for systems with commensurate delays, Springer: Heidelberg, Series: "SpringerBriefs in Electrical and Computer Engineering (Control, Automation and Robotics)", 2015.
- M.E. Ahsen, H.Özbay and S.-I. Niculescu : Analysis of deterministic cyclic gene regulatory network mo-dels with delays, Birkhäuser: Boston, Series : "SpringerBriefs in Electrical and Computer Engineering (Control, Automation and Robotics)", 2015.
- M.B. Saldivar Márquez, I. Boussaada, H. Mounier and S.-I. Niculescu : Analysis and control of oilwell drilling vibrations. A Time-Delay Systems Approach, Springer : Heidelberg, Series : "Advances in Industrial Control", 2015.
- W. Michiels and S.-I. Niculescu : Stability, control and computation for time-delay systems. An eigenvalue based approach, SIAM : Philadelphia, Series : "Advances in design and control", vol. DC 27, 2014.
- A. Çela, M. Ben Gaid, X.G. Li and S.-I. Niculescu : Optimal design of distributed control and embedded systems, Springer : Heidelberg, Series : "Communications and Control Engineering", 2014.
- W. Michiels and S.-I. Niculescu : Stability and stabilization of time-delay systems. An eigenvalue based approach, SIAM : Philadelphia, Series: Advances in design and control, vol. DC 12, 2007.
- S.-I. Niculescu : Delay effects on stability. A robust control approach, Springer: Heidelberg, Series: LNCIS, vol. 269, 2001.
- S.-I. Niculescu : Systèmes à retard. Aspects qualitatifs sur la stabilité et la stabilisation, Diderot Multimedia: Paris, Series: "Nouveaux Essais", 1997.